Blog Archive

Friday 19 May 2017

Following Erasmus






Erasmus was a Dutch-born scholar and philosopher who studied and worked all over Europe. He was against the tendency of some to lay down principles as undeniably true, without consideration of evidence or the opinions of others. In the ‘spirit’ of free- thinking and international cooperation, the Erasmus Scheme was founded 30 years ago this year. It has allowed students from many European Union member states (and also some from outside the EU) to follow ‘in the footsteps’ of Erasmus by gaining not only academic but also cultural and social learning in a country other than that of their birth or usual residence.



The Erasmus Programme (now known as Erasmus+) facilitates international study, work and training for students across the European Union by providing funding to students. For some, an ‘Erasmus semester or year’ is voluntary as part of their Bachelors or Masters programme and many appreciate the benefits it can bring to them in ‘rounding’ their studies and outlook on life. An ‘Erasmus year’ is mandatory for most British students studying European languages in the UK and, as a languages undergraduate, I had the chance to take part in it. As my degree was in three languages, which were equally weighted, I was lucky enough to complete three Erasmus placements, which I shall detail below.



I started my Erasmus year by spending the first semester studying in Madrid, Spain. This was a fantastic experience, not only because of the fact that Madrid is an amazing city to live in, but also because the university I went to, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija, offered small classes; so I really got to know my classmates and teachers. Furthermore, as all my classes, apart from my ‘Spanish as a Foreign Language’ course, were with Spanish students, I got to experience the Spanish higher education system first hand. My major subject whilst in Spain was translation.


Next, I spent the second semester in Toulouse, France. This
was also a great experience because there I mostly took ‘French as a Foreign Language’ classes with other international students. This meant that I got to meet people from all over the world. In addition, I took translation classes with French students.



Finally, I completed an internship in Germany, working as an in-house translator and proof-reader for a famous car manufacturer. This was a fantastic opportunity because I could use my knowledge, gained through my translation classes in the UK and abroad, in a professional context. I mastered translation tools, which I originally learnt how to use in Spain, and got to see if translation really is a career option for me (and it is!). Moreover, in my spare time, I visited several cities in Germany, which allowed me to experience different parts of the country.




Finishing my Erasmus year was quite a sad moment for me. Within one year, I had lived in three countries, switched between three languages, and immersed myself in three cultures. Even though I was already an independent person before embarking on my year abroad,
Erasmus allowed me to grow even more because I found myself in new situations in quite different places. It also made me feel even more European as it was a real ‘European’ experience.
Trying to find exchange programmes on your own, or even through the Erasmus Mundus scheme, can be difficult and costly. Furthermore, generations of British students could lose out on this amazing opportunity which brings with it so many advantages. I am therefore saddened by the potential bar on British students taking part in the Erasmus+ programme. I honestly believe that my Erasmus year was the best of my life and it genuinely helped me grow as a person.



Matt is a UK citizen, currently living in France, who works as an ‘English as a Foreign Language’ and Translation teacher.  

Although he believes that the EU does need to be reformed, he fully supports it and does not want to see the UK leave the Union. He is very passionate about the Erasmus Programme and does not want future generations of British students to be deprived of this wonderful opportunity to study and work in other EU countries as part of their degrees.  

Matt’s qualifications and experience can be seen on his LinkedIN  profile: Matt Higgins





More information about the Erasmus+ and Erasmus Mundus programmes can be found at:










No comments:

Post a Comment